Monday, September 21, 2009

Web 2.0 and Teenagers



I remain concerned about the sad state of public education in this country.  My high school students do not have enough background knowledge.  This is something they will have to work on for the rest of their lives.  We try to build on their non-cognitive strengths - which are often considerable compared to their better off peers.  Well, now I have a new concern.

As a 50+ year-old guy, I have taken on the challenge of moving into "the Cloud," participating in the world of Web 2.0.  My education has been frustrating but addictive.  My parents gave me the incredible gift of curiosity and the belief that I could learn anything.  I don't know too many people my age who can engage in a cutting edge, or any other kind of discussion on this stuff.  I thought my high school students would be the perfect conversational partners.  After all, aren't they incredibly connected?  Unfortunately, the new technology, tools, and territory of social media are lost on them.  They are consumers and not producers.  They are unconcerned with creating community or grabbing hold of this unprecedented opportunity to create content.  I guess this will be just one more thing I will have to evangelize about.  But I really wish I was ten years younger.

No comments: