Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Real conversations about education

I am finding it increasingly hard not to believe that there really is a conspiracy around public education in this country. I spend time around very wealthy people who extol the virtues of this or that charter school. They talk about standardized test scores, how quiet and cute the kids are, and how nice the halls look. It is clear that none of them would ever consider sending their child to one of these schools. I, too, as the fortunate beneficiary of an elite education have never considered the choices offered by the public system as real choices for my own children.

Tests can be used for feedback and a more reflective teaching practice but the more I do this, the more I believe these tests are used to weed out the drones from the oligarchy.

No comments: