Saturday, August 15, 2009

Liberal Arts education and bullies

I'm glad I never looked on my education as an opportunity to specialize. As Robert Heinlein said: "Specialization is for insects." I had the benefit of a strong liberal arts education. My education, along with my parents' examples, allowed me to figure out who I wanted to be and not just what I wanted to do. I developed an understanding of my responsibilities as a citizen and a passion for social justice.

In the past couple of weeks I have come to the realization that I won't be saving the world but I am glad for the tools I have been given for fighting what Dr. Paul Farmer calls "The Long Defeat." I am currently dealing with people who maintain their arrogance in the face of complexity. They criticize my successful efforts at providing under-served teens with an education. They form their opinions on the basis of unexamined assumptions, whim, delusions, and lies.

My education has armed me against manipulation, coercion, demagogues, and bullies. I am grateful and I will be moving on.

No comments: