Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Indispensable Men

I think it was Charles DeGaulle who said "the cemeteries of France are filled with indispensable men." This quote has been playing in my head recently as I ponder the lines between being an advocate, being zealous, being grandiose, and being a martyr. I am guilty of being some or all of them. I look at the deck stacked against so many of our young people and realize the promise of "equal opportunity" is really just a joke to the oligarchs in my world. An economic status quo is now being reinvented and my students are odd man out. The education we are trying to provide is dangerous because it will make them useful. I have no interest in studying the replicability of my ideas. I just need a platform and some youthful volunteers who are interested in taking control of their lives and fighting "the Long Defeat."

No comments: